Thursday 16 October 2008

Whatever you do, don't look back...

I seem to recall a story from Greek mythology and other assorted tales I heard in my childhood* which included the dire warning 'not to look back'.**

This occurred to me this morning as I unwillingly turned left at Plumgarths roundabout, away from the Lakes, and caught a glimpse of the fells around Kentmere washed in gorgeous golden autumn light.

I then proceeded to drive eastwards along the A591 stealling glances every few seconds in the rear view mirror at the hills. How I made it to work without ending up on someone else's back parcel-shelf I'll never know.

Such are the perils of living on the edge of the Lakes!


*You know, the sort of stories you hear/read when you're young and then they get confused into one in your head, but they were probably actually lumped into that scary Jason and the Argonauts film we used to watch every year at Christmas at Primary School, the one with the scary dancing skeletons which terrified me for years.

** A quick bit of googling would suggest it's Orpheus I'm thinking of...

1 comment:

Raph Bleakley said...

I went for a run over the crags in Edinburgh at 8am this morning. It was great... the rays of the sun were just hitting the castle and everything was brilliantly illuminated. It's a shame I had to go to the office....